There are several bows from different manufacturers designed for several purposes. Again, you might be owning a specific bow for several purposes such as hunting, target shooting, etc. But, did you know there are bows which are specifically designed for deer hunting only? If you are a deer hunter, this is a great news for you. These bows can offer amazing deer hunting experience and can help you take down the deer with a single shot at the right place. However, being designed for deer hunting doesn’t mean they are incompatible with other aiming and shooting purposes. If you are just willing to go for one of these best bow for deer hunting, then you won’t regret as those will give you the perfect satisfaction.
Choosing a bow for deer hunting requires you to know about several things. Finding in-depth information regarding some of the best bows for deer hunting is also an essential factor for you to become able to select the best bow. To help you in choosing the best hunting bow for deer hunting, we are presenting you this guide with the complete reviews of some of the most trusted and reliable bows for deer hunting.
Best Bow For Deer Hunting
Does Deer Hunting Need Specific Bow?
Deer hunting is what most hunters, as well as hobbyists, prefer. It’s not really necessary to get a specific bow for deer hunting, but if you get one, it would be great. You can expect to obtain the optimal experience while deer hunting if you use a bow which is specifically designed just for the same purpose.
If you don’t own a bow which is meant for deer hunting and is experienced with the bow, you are likely to take down a deer easily with any bows. In such cases, you may not require a specific bow for deer hunting. But, getting a specific bow for deer hunting can help you in many cases if you are an entry-level hunter. If you aren’t a hunter but are interested in going for hunting, you are likely to go after a deer since it is easy to shoot at and is legal in most places. In such cases, a specific bow for deer hunting can be beneficial for you.
Required Features For Deer Hunting Bow
Just with a tag mentioning a bow is designed for deer hunting doesn’t mean it is compatible with deer hunting. There are several features a bow need to have to be able to take down a deer while hunting. The most essential factor to look for while choosing a bow for deer hunting is the draw weight of the bow.
Minimum Bow Draw Weight
Draw weight refers to the pull weight of the bow which is applied on your hand on the bowstring while stretching the bow. The draw weight of a bow usually varies in terms of the length of the stretched area of the bow. For deer hunting, you will require around 40 pounds of draw weight to successfully take down and kill the deer. If you are thinking about shooting at whitetail deer, you can go with the 40 pounds of draw weight. However, you will require a bow which can offer a bow weight above 50 pounds for elk or moose. It is good to prefer a bow which consists of the draw weight of 70 pounds.
Draw length refers to the length of the stretched area of the bow. When you stretch the bow with your fingers on the string, certain kinetic energy or draw weight is applied and the drawn region is recognized as the draw length of the bow. For deer hunting, it is good to prefer a bow with the draw length of around 25 to 31 inches.
So, Which One Is The Best Bow for Deer Hunting?
Now that you have gone through the basic features required in a bow for it to be suitable for deer hunting, it’s time to find out some of the best bows for deer hunting. We shortlisted several dozens of popular bows used by hunters from all around the world and looked into the features of all bows.
During our research, we dropped down our list to 12 specific bows and started using them for practical evaluation. These bows were found to be the best bows for deer hunting as per our research on several features of every bow. With the completion of our research, we decided to conclude the research with this guide consisting of the reviews of the 12 best bow for deer hunting. Before getting onto the individual review of each bow, let’s take a look at the quick comparison chart featuring every bow!
Best Bow For Deer Hunting
The Predator Archery RAPTOR Compound Hunting Bow is an awesome bow for bow hunting manufactured by Predator Archery. This bow of the RAPTOR model is available in both left- and right-hand orientation. It is a flexible bow which is easy to set up and use. This bow is highly popular among beginners and suitable for experienced bow hunters as well. Even though the bow offers exceptional features, it is available for a highly affordable price tag.
- The bow has a draw weight of 30 to 70 pounds and an adjustable draw length of 24.5 to 31 inches.
- This bow offers 75% of its weight for let off.
- It consists of a split yoke tuning system which allows you to make accurate adjustments for shooting the arrow.
- This amazing deer hunting compound bow is made up of fully machined aluminum and features fiberglass limbs.
- This bow is easy to set up and use.
- It is highly durable.
- The bow is available for both hand orientations.
- The overall package doesn’t offer any arrows.
Without any doubt, the Predator Archery RAPTOR Compound Hunting Bow is certainly an amazing bow for deer hunting offering the maximum speed of 315 feet per second while using a 350-grain arrow. The overall kit includes a 5-pin sight featuring light and level along with stabilizer and whisker biscuit style rest as well as peep sight and loop. With all these features and included equipments, this outstanding compound bow is available at non-expensive price tag which is best for beginners.
The Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Bow is another amazing bow for deer hunting featuring extended draw length which offers awesome performance for hunters who stretch their bowstring more. The bow features a solid back wall along with infinite options for drawing the string. Its string can be extended up to the maximum of 31 inches which is certainly a good length for deer hunting. The manufacturers have also built a stabilizer for this bow to offer an exceptional level of balance to the user. This bow is actually a multi-shooter hunting bow.
- The solid back wall on the bow allows you to use the bow effectively with perfect balance and versatility.
- It consists of a new cam system offering an extremely smooth draw cycle.
- The bow weighs just around 3.2 pounds and is available in both hand orientations.
- The draw length of the bow extends from 13 to 31 inches along with the draw weight of 5 to 70 pounds.
- This bow is lightweight.
- It offers several draw options.
- It is available for both left and right-hand orientations.
- Some of the users raised the question about the durability of this bow. But we haven’t found any issues so far.
If you are looking for a deer hunting bow which offers amazing feel to the long draw hunters while using the bow, it is always the best idea to go for the Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Bow. Along with the bow package, you will also be getting a 3-pin tundra sight, 5 inches ultra-lite octane stabilizer, tube peep sight, DeadLock lite octane quiver, hostage XL arrow rest, BCY string loop and comfort wrist sling. However, you won’t be getting any warranty over the bow package.
The Leader Accessories Compound Bow is an amazing compound hunting bow suitable to take down any deer with the perfect shot. The bow features an aluminum riser and is available in right-hand orientation. It offers the maximum let off of 70% which is definitely an exceptional rate. This bow is also lightweight and doesn’t require any bow press for the adjustment of the draw weight and draw length. The bow is available with a single warranty period.
- This compound bow offers the maximum speed of 296 feet per second.
- The bow has an axle-to-axle length of 28 inches and a brace height of 7 inches.
- It weighs just around 3.3 pounds with the arrow tip weight of 100 grains.
- This bow has an arrow spine deflection of just 0.441 inches.
- It is designed with durable materials.
- The bow is easy to set up and use.
- The sights and arrow rest mayn’t be too comfortable.
The Leader Accessories Compound Bow can be one of the best deer hunting bows available out there for everyone who is looking for a bow with average speed and better adjustability. The overall package consists of a fiber optic sight, D-string loop, peep sight, wax, drop away arrow rest and a couple of 30 inches aluminum arrow. The manufacturer offers 1-year warranty over this product which doesn’t include any strings or cables.
The SAS Feud 70 Lbs Compound Bow is one of the best compound hunting bows available in the market which is suitable for people who keep traveling to different places for deer hunting. The bow might be a little bit heavy but it offers exceptional performance while hunting. It has slightly faster speed and is available in right-hand orientation. This bow is built with an 8 inches long aluminum stabilizer for perfect balance while hunting. It is available with a durable case from the manufacturer.
- The bow has a draw length of 15 to 31 inches and draws weight of 25 to 70 pounds.
- It can shoot with the maximum speed of over 300 feet per second.
- The riser is designed with high-quality aluminum.
- The bow weighs around 4.1 pounds.
- It offers a proper FPS speed for hunting.
- This bow is highly durable.
- The bow features an attractive design.
- It is slightly heavier.
- The bow is a bit expensive.
If you keep traveling to several places for hunting, the SAS Feud 70 Lbs Compound Bow can be a better hunting bow option for you. The bow is available with a hard case, 12 SAS Destroyer Carbon Arrows, 6 broadheads, tube peep sight, quick shot arrow rest, 8 inches long aluminum stabilizer, quick detach quiver, 5-pin adjustable bow sight and release aid. In fact, this bow is certainly one of the best performing compound bows for deer hunting with maximum speed and draw weight.
The iGlow 55 lb Camouflage Archery Hunting Compound Bow is another right-hand orientation-based compound bow for hunting. The bow allows you to shoot at the target with maximum accuracy. It offers the maximum let off of 70% and weighs just around 4 pounds. This deer hunting bow shoots at a quite slower speed in comparison to its competitors, but the speed is still better for deer hunting. It is well-polished and offers exceptional performance while hunting.
- The bow features riser and cams designed with aluminum and limbs of compression-molded fiberglass.
- This bow can shoot with the speed of over 220 feet per second.
- The bow has a total length of 41.5 inches along with the draw length of 27 to 29 inches.
- It has an adjustable draw weight of 40 to 55 pounds.
- This bow has amazing features which are suitable for beginners.
- It is tagged at a highly affordable price tag.
- The bow isn’t compatible with elk, moose or other larger deer.
If you are looking for an outstanding compound bow offering minimal requirements which is best for taking down any whitetail deer with ease, you might want to consider getting the iGlow 55 lb Camouflage Archery Hunting Compound Bow. The bow is suitable 30 inches long arrows made up of carbon, aluminum and fiberglass. It comes in black, silver and camouflage colors and is highly inexpensive.
The Hoyt KLASH 29-70# RH Xtra is also an affordable compound bow available in right-hand orientation. This bow is designed with high-quality technologies from Hoyt along with amazing design. The bow features Black Out riser along with FUSE custom bowstrings and cables. It offers an exceptional performance for draw weight of 50 pounds which is certainly a good draw weight for whitetail, elk and moose. This hunting bow is highly durable and can be used for many years to come.
- This bow is available with the draw weight of 29 to 70 pounds.
- The bow has the draw length ranging from 18 to 29 inches.
- It weighs at just around 3.5 pounds.
- This bow features smooth Klash cam along with solid wall offering extreme feel to the user to aim and shoot with very high accuracy.
- The bow is highly durable.
- It is available at an affordable price tag.
- It may be difficult to take down larger deer like elk and moose with this bow.
If you are looking for an affordable and super smooth bow for deer hunting which offers exceptional bow performance for taking down any whitetail deer effectively, it is always the best idea to go for the Hoyt KLASH 29-70# RH Xtra bow. The bow is available with 6 different Shred limb colors along with Hoyt’s Parallel Split-Limb Technology. The overall package consists of whisker biscuit arrow rest, ProFire 3-Pin Sight and Vector 4-Arrow Quiver.
Other Top Bow For Deer Hunting
The Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Adult Compound Bow is a highly versatile compound bow offering a high-ranging draw weight suitable for not only deer, but also several other animals. This bow is extremely lightweight and allows you to shoot with very high speed. The bow features adjustable draw length which can be adjusted with an Allen wrench. It doesn’t require any bow press for making adjustments. This compound hunting bow is available for both hand orientations.
- The bow weighs at just around 3 pounds.
- This bow has the draw weight of 5 to 70 pounds along with the draw length of 12 to 30 inches.
- The riser is made up of machined aluminum.
- The bow can shoot with the speed of 315 feet per second.
- You can expect to take down any deer from whitetail to elk as well as moose with this amazing versatile hunting bow.
- The bow features advanced grip design to prevent hand torque for offering maximum accuracy while aiming and shooting.
- In few cases, the limbs aren’t properly attached.
If you are an entry-level or an experienced hunter who prefers going for deer hunting time to time, you might want to get the Bear Archery Cruzer G2 Adult Compound Bow which is suitable for people of any ages and skill levels. This bow is highly adjustable and lightweight and can be a good choice if you keep traveling from one place to another for hunting. It is also tagged at a reasonable price tag.
The XGear Right Hand Compound Bow is another outstanding right-handed compound hunting bow with an awesome let off rate. The bow weighs slightly heavier, but it offers an amazing experience while hunting. With its maximum draw weight adjustment and the super fast speed, you can expect to kill any deer with ease. The bow features a riser made up of aluminum which is highly durable. This amazing compound hunting bow has an axle-to-axle length of 31.5 inches.
- This bow has the draw length of 25 to 31 inches.
- The bow weighs at around 4.4 pounds.
- It has the brace height of 7.5 inches and can shoot with a speed of 310 feet per second when adjusted to the maximum level.
- This bow offers the let-off rate of 75% to 80% along with its draw weight of 50 to 70 pounds.
- It can shoot at very fast speed.
- The bow doesn’t require any bow press to make adjustments.
- This bow can be easily set up for hunting.
- The bow is quite heavy.
- It is a quite expensive option for beginners.
If you are looking for a compound bow for deer hunting with very low arrow spine deflection of just 0.370 inches, you might want to go for the XGear Right Hand Compound Bow. The bow is available with a couple of 30 inches long aluminum arrow along with fiber optic sight, release aid, peep sight, D-string loop and drop-away arrow rest. You can adjust the draw weight and draw length of the bow with the Allen wrench without requiring any bow press. In fact, this bow is tagged at a reasonable price tag, but it can be expensive for entry-level hunters.
The Diamond Edge SB-1 Compound Bow is a versatile compound bow for hunting featuring durable construction materials. The bow is available in both left and right-hand orientations. This bow is probably one of the fastest shooting compound bows available out there. It has a high ranging draw weight which is suitable for most of the smaller animals including whitetail, moose, and elk. It is available in a soft case from the manufacturer.
- This compound hunting bow has the axle to axle length of 31 inches.
- The bow has the draw length of 15 to 30 inches and a high ranging draw weight of 7 to 70 pounds.
- The bow can shoot with very high speed of 318 feet per second.
- The bow offers ultra-high let off rate of 80%.
- It can hit the target quickly.
- The bow can offer exceptional performance at the draw weight of 65 pounds which means it can take down any deer easily.
- This bow can be easily tuned.
- The bow is a bit expensive compared to the top ones.
If you are thinking about getting a high-end compound hunting bow which can be used for many years to come without facing any issues, it’s highly recommended for you to go for this bow from Diamond Archery. The Diamond Edge SB-1 Compound Bow is available in a package with Apex 3-pin fiber optic sight, D-loop, comfort wrist sling, 5 inches long Octane stabilizer, 5-arrow Octane quiver and Octane Hostage Arrow Rest. The bow features soft machined aluminum riser along with composite limbs for exceptional performance.
The Topoint Archery Compound Bow Package M1 is an outstanding compound bow package designed with highly durable materials. It is also a super-fast shooting bow. The bow is only available in right-hand orientation and weighs ultra-low. The overall package is directly imported from the United States, which means you can expect to obtain high-quality product at your hand for a reasonable price tag. This bow also offers an exceptional let off rate of 80%.
- This compound hunting bow features aluminum riser along with CNC milling 7075-T6 cams.
- The bowstring is made up of Composite material from Gordon Composites in the United States.
- This bow has the draw weight of 19 to 70 pounds and the draw length of 19 to 30 inches.
- It can shoot with an ultra high speed of 320 feet per second.
- The bow is extremely fast.
- It is made up of high-quality materials.
- It offers very high let off rate.
- This bow is easy to set up.
- The carbon arrows included with the package aren’t stiffer enough.
- It isn’t so adjustable.
If you are a beginner who is looking for the best hunting bow for taking down any deer effectively, the Topoint Archery Compound Bow Package M1 can be a good choice for you. The bow doesn’t require any bow press for adjustments. The overall package consists of the bow itself, 5-pin optical bow sight, braided bow sling, bow release, D-loop, peep sight, rubber stabilizer, brush arrow rest, limb dampers, Allen keys, string was, bow stand, arrow puller, 18 carbon arrows of 30 inches and 6 pieces of arrow quiver.
The Diamond Archery Prism Bow is another bow from Diamond Archery which is available in both left and right-hand orientations. The bow is highly versatile and offers maximum adjustability options. It is a lightweight bow for hunting which is beneficial for those who keep traveling to different places for hunting. The bow features high-quality dual cam system and doesn’t require any bow press for making adjustments. This bow from Diamond Archery produces very low sound while firing which makes it effective to hunt animals without the fear of missing the shot.
- This bow has the draw length of 18 to 30 inches and the draw weight of 5 to 55 pounds.
- The bow weighs at just 3.2 pounds.
- It can shoot with the speed of 295 feet per second.
- This hunting bow features the riser made up of lightweight aluminum.
- The bow is extremely lightweight.
- It is highly adjustable and doesn’t require bow press.
- This bow offers an average draw weight suitable for most of the smaller animals including whitetail deer.
- It is tagged at a slightly higher price tag.
If you are looking for a highly adjustable and versatile bow for deer hunting which produces very low noise while shooting, you might want to go for the Diamond Archery Prism Bow. The bow features rotating draw length modules which allow you to make adjustments of around 12 inches. This bow is available in black, green, blue, camouflage, orange and purple colors.
The Topoint Archery Trigon Compound Bow is another amazing compound bow manufactured by Topoint Archery. This bow is available in only right-hand orientation and features durable construction materials. Similar to the Package M1 bow from the same manufacturer, this bow can also shoot at a very high speed. The bow offers a high let off rate of 80% and weighs at just around 3.95 pounds. This bow also doesn’t require any bow press for making adjustments.
- This bow features Aluminum CNC Milling riser along with CNC Milling 7075-T6 cam and Composite limbs.
- The bow has the draw length of 19 to 30 inches and the draw weight of 19 to 70 pounds.
- It can shoot with a speed of 320 feet per second.
- This bow has the axle-to-axle length of 31 inches along with the brace height of 7 inches.
- It is a highly adjustable hunting bow.
- The bow can be used for many years to come without any issues.
- This bow can hit the target quickly.
- It is quite expensive for beginners.
- This bow is heavy compared to other ones.
The Topoint Archery Trigon Compound Bow is a great choice for everyone who is looking for an advanced bow offering several adjustability options along with very high let off rate. This bow is highly durable and doesn’t require you to look for any other bows throughout its lifespan. The overall package included 5-pin bow sight, a couple of brush arrow rest, aluminum stabilizer, bow release, 3 pieces of brush replacement, aluminum mounting, 5 pieces of arrow quiver, braided bow sling, fabric arrow quiver, D-loop, limb dampers, bow stand, arrow puller, bowstring wax, Allen key, meter replacement, 3x aluminum peep sight, 24 pieces of 30 inches training arrows, 5 target papers, a single handle grip tape and a camo cap.
Buyer’s Guide To Buy The Best Hunting Bow
Now that you’ve gone through the individual reviews of the 12 best bow for deer hunting, you might be interested in looking for the best compound hunting bow meeting your requirements. Before buying a compound bow for hunting, you need to know about several features included in the most popular and reliable bows available out there. To help you choose the best compound hunting bow, we are providing you this buyer’s guide explaining several features.
Hand orientation is one of the most essential and underrated factors while choosing the best compound hunting bow. Several people look for other features and skip the hand orientation of the bow and end up getting the wrong bow for hunting. The reason behind this is that you won’t be able to use the bow properly if you get a bow with the opposite hand orientation. This doesn’t really depend upon the hand you use for performing different tasks.
If you are a right-handed person, you will have a lot of difficulties while using a left-handed bow in case you aren’t well-experienced about doing things with your left hand. But, if you know how you can use your left hand to perform task efficiently, a left-handed bow can be a good choice for you. While buying the best compound hunting bow, you need to look for the one which is designed for the hand orientation you are friendly with. Most people prefer right-handed bow, which is why several bows in our review are available in right-hand orientation only. However, some of the bows are also available for both hand orientations.
Length of Bows
While talking about the length of bows, you shouldn’t relate it with the draw length. Draw length and bow length are totally different. The length of bow refers to the total length of bow from one end to the another. While looking for a compound bow with suitable length, it is good to look for the one which seems to be compatible with the size of your body.
With a longer bow, you can expect to obtain higher accuracy while shooting. This doesn’t mean a shorter bow is less accurate. If you know how to aim towards the target with a bow, any size of the bow which suits with your body size can be good. It is good to look for the bow length of around 38 to 43 inches if you are an entry-level hunter.
There’s nothing special about a higher let-off or a lower let-off rate. The let-off rate depends upon how you draw the bowstring and how you fire the shot. While using a bow with the draw weight of 60 pounds along with the let-off rate of 80%, you will have 12 pounds of weight at the maximum draw. On the other hand, you will have 21 pounds at full draw if you used the same draw weight with a bow offering 65% let-off rate.
It is good to look for a bow with a lower let-off rate if you are a beginner. With a lower let-off rate, you can expect to experience faster performance.
Brace height refers to the distance from the interior part of the grip of the bow when it isn’t drawn to the nock point of the bowstring. You might be wondering how the brace height changes the entire hunting session. The brace height of your bow creates an impact on the speed and accuracy of the bow.
If you prefer a bow with a shorter brace height, you can expect to have a faster feet per second arrow speed with a longer power stroke. However, with the longer power stroke on the arrow, there can be several issues while shooting. If you are a beginner who is looking for a bow which can be easy to shoot with, you might want to look for the one with a longer brace height. However, a bow with longer brace height may not shoot quickly. It is good to look for a 7-inch brace height in a bow for optimal performance.
You might have found about the material used for the bow cams in the individual reviews of several bows. The material of the cams doesn’t really affect the performance. But, looking for a bow with aggressive cam design can be a good choice to obtain the faster arrow speed. However, such bows can be difficult to draw and shoot with high accuracy.
It is always the best idea to look for a moderately aggressive bow cam design with an average speed to obtain optimal performance in most of the hunting sessions.
Since we have completed the reviews of the 12 best bow for deer hunting along with a buyer’s guide which consists of the tips to buy the best hunting bow, we believe you are now able to choose the best bow for hunting purposes. While looking for the best bow for deer hunting, you can compare the features of the selected bow with the features of bows in our review to determine whether the bow is good to use or not.
It is highly recommended to look for a bow with the draw weight of around 40-55 pounds and an adjustable draw length of 28 to 30 inches for deer hunting. The bow also needs to have the hand orientation and total length suitable to your body.
If you have any issues while buying the best hunting bow for deer hunting, you can write down to us in the comments. We’d get back to you right away with proper recommendation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What features do I need to look for while choosing the best bow for deer hunting?
Ans. The major things to look for while choosing the best bow for deer hunting are the draw length and draw weight of the bow. You can find suitable draw length and draw length for deer hunting in our guide. It’s also recommended to choose the proper hand orientation.
Q. What speed bow do I need to choose for deer hunting?
Ans. For deer hunting, you don’t really need a bow with the feet per second speed of over 300. It’s good to look for the bow with the FPS speed of around 220 to 270. But, if you find the bow with the speed of over 300 FPS, it’s the best idea to stick with that bow.
Q. What are some of the trusted and reliable bow manufacturers?
Ans. It’s always the best idea to look for the bow manufactured by world-class manufacturers like Diamond Archery, Topoint, Predator Archery, SAS, Hoyt, etc. You can expect to get bows with high-quality materials from these manufacturers.
Q. What’s the best bow specifications for a beginner in deer hunting?
Ans. For a beginner, it is good to look for a bow with the draw weight of around 40 to 60 pounds, draw length of 25 to 30 inches, bow length of around 38 to 40 inches and a brace height of 7 inches. With these specifications, you can create a better deer hunting experience.
Last update on 2019-08-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API