You might have seen people hunting with guns. But, what about hunting in a creative way rather than using the guns? That’s where crossbows come for you to use. Not only will you be hunting in a creative way, but you’d also be hunting in a way filled with excitement and a good way to get close with the environment. Maybe you are here for the same reason. You might be reading this guide just because you would be able to find out the best crossbow you can buy. You can find tons of different crossbows in the market and many of them are of different types and are used for different purposes. It could be tedious work to choose one among the thousands of products you can find in the market. In this article, we will be talking about the best crossbow for the money.
Crossbow-What Is That?
A crossbow is a combined form of bow and arrow. It is a ranged weapon which consists of a bow-like architecture placed on a frame known as stock and shoots arrow-like objects known as bolts or quarrels. The stock lets the bow to stay in the crossbow in loaded form every time, including the time when it isn’t being used. The bolts in a crossbow are typically shorter than the traditional arrows and can differ from each other in terms of their weight. The weight of bolts depends on where they are in use. However, if the weight of bolts and quarrels are consistent, the target can be predictable and highly accurate while using the crossbow.
Crossbows has been used by people for many centuries and its design and usage has modernized with the innovation of new technologies over the period of time. The design of crossbows can be modified if necessary so that it can store more number of bolts. While firing a crossbow, the lever needs to be pulled back towards the point where the bow is placed. The firing mechanism of a crossbow is highly accurate while comparing with the traditional bow and arrows. It can also shoot at a very large distance of around 360 meters, which isn’t possible while using the traditional bow and arrows. It can be used for learning, hunting, or any sport where it is necessary. Crossbows can also be used in wars and battlefield to attack the enemies.
Our Pick: Best Crossbow of All Time
- BEST OF THE BEST: Invader G3 is the safest, lightest, narrowest, and fastest Wicked Ridge Invader model to date
- COMPLETE PACKAGE from Ten Point's Wicked Ridge pairs their revolutionary Invader G3 Crossbow with the GEAR YOU NEED FOR HUNTING SUCCESS, no extra accessories to track down, it's all in the box, READY TO ROCK
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: Wicked Ridge G3 Crossbow, TenPoint 3X Multi-Line Scope, ACUdraw Cocking Mechanism, Wicked Ridge Instant-Detach 3-Arrow Quiver, and (3) Wicked Ridge 400-grain Carbon Arrows with 100-grain Practice Tips
- ALL THE SPECS: LENGTH (with stirrup)-37.75 inches; AXLE-TO-AXLE WIDTH (uncocked/cocked)-22.6 inches/19 inches; POWER STROKE-13.5 inches; WEIGHT (without accessories)-6.6 lbs; DRAW WEIGHT-165 lbs; SPEED-330 FPS, 96 FP KE
- ACUdraw COCKING MECHANISM: Integrated self-retracting rope cocking device that REDUCES DRAW WEIGHT by 50%
7 Best Crossbow For The Money
We researched several crossbows from different manufacturers depending on their specifications and what they are used for such as hunting, learning or other purposes. Over the entire period of our research, we came over seven special crossbows that turned out to be the best among all the crossbows available out there. This guide consists of the reviews of the seven top crossbows along with their comparative analysis and a crossbow buying guide for everyone looking to buy the perfect crossbow. With the completion of this guide, you will be able to find out the best crossbows for all the essential qualities such as power, comfort, usability, scope, reliability, and durability.
If you are looking for the best crossbow for the money, there would be no other choice left for you rather than the Wicked Ridge Invader G3 by TenPoint. It is the safest, most lightweight and the fastest Wicked Ridge Invader model from TenPoint and offers an amazing grip for the user. Featuring the self-retracting ACU-52 cocking mechanism, it allows you to cock the crossbow in a convenient way. You will also get 3X Multi-Line Scope that offers highly accurate results at short distances with this amazing crossbow.
- The Wicked Ridge Invader G3 offers an amazing shooting speed of 330 FPS with the kinetic energy of 97 FP.
- It features the TenPoint 3X Multi-Line Scope with multiple aim points that let you shoot with high accuracy.
- It includes a convenient self-retracting ACU-52 mechanism that lets you cock the crossbow easily.
- This crossbow weighs just around 12.8 pounds which makes it one of the most lightweight crossbows available out there.
- The bow weighs just 6.6 pounds when it is assembled which makes it very easy to use.
- This crossbow consists of a dry fire inhibitor which prevents the bow from getting fired while no arrow is present in the proper position.
- You can use this crossbow without any faults for several years due to its compact design.
- It is one of the safest, most lightweight and fastest crossbows.
- It offers an exceptional velocity of over 330 FPS.
- This crossbow offers an amazing user comfort with a proper grip.
- It is very easy to assemble and handle.
- It can be highly accurate for shorter distances.
- TenPoint offers just a single-year warranty period for this crossbow.
- It produces some vibration while firing.
With its exceptional design and user comfort, the Wicked Ridge Invader G3 crossbow from TenPoint is easily one of the best crossbows available for the money. If you are looking for a crossbow that can shoot with very high accuracy at shorter distances as well as a crossbow that you can use for many years to come without any damage, the Wicked Ridge Invader G3 would be the perfect crossbow for an affordable price tag.
If you are looking for a crossbow that offers you everything an ideal crossbow needs to possess, the CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow Package would be there for you. It features 4x32mm scope which results in very high accuracy while shooting the target. This crossbow offers you an exceptional shooting velocity of 370 FPS which is easily one of the fastest speed you can get from a crossbow.
- The CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow Package can shoot at a very high speed of 370 FPS which makes it able to shoot any animals in the world with ease.
- The 4x32mm scope allows you to produce highly accurate results while shooting.
- This crossbow features a fully adjustable and tactical stock as well as a forearm.
- This crossbow features a CNC machined aluminum rail which is highly lightweight and durable.
- You can shoot with an exceptional velocity of around 370 FPS with this crossbow.
- The forearm included in this crossbow offers high adjustability which makes you able to customize it any way you like.
- This crossbow is highly durable and lightweight.
- You can hit the target with very high accuracy with this crossbow.
- You can get this outstanding crossbow for a highly affordable price.
- The user manual from the manufacturer doesn’t provide proper instructions.
- You could have a hard time assembling the crossbow for the first time without clear instructions.
The CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow Package is targeted towards those are who are looking for an affordable crossbow that can shoot with very fast speed than the competitors. If you get this crossbow, you will be able to utilize the most out of our money. Even though it could be difficult to assemble the crossbow for the first use, you would be able to customize the forearm in any way you like as well as use the crossbow for many years to come.
The Barnett Ghost 410 CRT crossbow is a lightweight crossbow which offers you an outstanding level of power and speed. It features Barnett’s CRT technology that enables you to receive the balance point back to your shoulder taking it away from the riser. This crossbow also offers very high accuracy at a larger distance.
- This crossbow weighs at just around 7.3 pounds and offers an outstanding scope that lets you shoot with high accuracy even at the distance of 65 meters.
- The Ghost 410 crossbow can shoot the target with a very high velocity in comparison to its competitors. The shooting speed is around 410 FPS with over 150 ft-lbs of kinetic energy.
- This crossbow is designed with the Barnett’s own Carbonlite Riser Technology (CRT) which offers well-balanced feel to you as well as the bow.
- It also features Barnett’s own Carbonlite riser which includes an exceptional 5-to-1 safety mechanism.
- You can get the perfect combination of well-balanced power and speed with this crossbow.
- It offers an exceptional shooting speed of around 410 FPS.
- It allows you to get back the balance point from the Carbonlite riser.
- This crossbow can shoot accurately even at the large distance of over 65 meters.
- It is lightweight.
- You will get an outstanding level of power with this crossbow.
- You will receive just 5-year warranty period with this crossbow.
- The crossbow produces comparatively larger sound.
If you are looking for a crossbow that can shoot with ultra-fast speed and can take down any living being in the world, there’d be no other option left for you rather than the Barnett Ghost 410 CRT crossbow. You can get an amazing scope that can shoot with high accuracy even at a larger distance with this crossbow. You will also be able to use this crossbow for a lot of years to come without getting damaged.
If you are looking for a powerful crossbow with highly compact design, the TenPoint Turbo GT Crossbow would be one of the best options available for the money. This crossbow might cost you a lot, but along with its heavy price tag, it also provides you the most out of your money.
- This crossbow allows you to shoot with a very high speed of over 340 FPS along with 109 ft-lbs of kinetic energy.
- The crossbow package features 3-Arrow Quiver, ambidextrous side-mount Quiver Bracket as well as 3-pack of outstanding carbon Pro Elite Arrows from TenPoint.
- There is 13.5 inches long XLT bow assembly which is designed in a compact size increasing its durability and usability.
- The Turbo GT crossbow is very easy to assemble, handle and use.
- You can cock the crossbow with ease.
- You can hit the target with an amazing speed of around 340 FPS.
- The 3X Pro-View 2 Scope allows you to shoot with high accuracy.
- It is designed with a compact size and is highly durable.
- It is easy to assemble.
- This crossbow is highly lightweight and offers consistent carbon Pro Elite Arrows.
- It doesn’t feature any noise suppression system.
- It is priced at a hefty price tag.
The TenPoint Turbo GT Crossbow package can be the most recommended option for you if you are looking for a crossbow that offers an exceptional combination of stock and bow assembly. The Turbo GT crossbow could cost you a lot, but is also highly durable allowing you to use it for many years efficiently.
The Prophecy 80 Pound Self-cocking Pistol Crossbow with Cobra System Limb could be the best choice for you if you are looking for a crossbow as a beginner. This crossbow can turn out to be very easy to assemble when you are using it for the first time.
- This crossbow weighs just around 2 pounds. Due to its small and compact size, it is easy to assemble and handle.
- This crossbow is designed with an outstanding cocking mechanism which can be pulled with one hand and allows you to load the bolts with ease.
- It also features an upgraded red-dot pack which easily mounts over the integrated rail on the crossbow.
- This crossbow features an adjustable rear sight as well as a bead foresight.
- You can use this crossbow for learning purposes without causing much harm to anyone with its minimal velocity of over 150 FPS.
- This crossbow doesn’t produce much vibrations like its competitors.
- You can shoot with the speed of over 150 FPS with this crossbow which is best for beginners.
- It is very easy to assemble and handle.
- It weighs just around 2 pounds making it one of the most lightweight crossbows in the market.
- This crossbow is designed with compact size and can be carried anywhere with ease.
- It is highly affordable.
- It doesn’t have proper accuracy at large distance.
- This crossbow doesn’t feature under mount rail.
The Prophecy 80 Pound Self-cocking Pistol Crossbow with Cobra System Limb can be the best crossbow for you if you are new to the crossbow scenario. It is available at a very cheap price and it won’t harm you much if you are thinking about stopping to use crossbows. This crossbow is mainly designed for beginners and will offer you an amazing experience while learning to use crossbows.
The TenPoint Titan SS is one of the best crossbows for the money in the market for everyone who is looking for a faster and lightweight crossbow. This crossbow from TenPoint also comes with a compact size making it easier to handle along with an affordable price tag.
- This crossbow features a T3 bull-pup trigger weighing in at 3.5 pounds which helps in offering results with high accuracy.
- This crossbow is highly durable and easy to customize due to its split-limb technology.
- It is designed with the TenPoint’s adjustable Fusion S stock.
- This crossbow includes 13 inches long and 175 pound HL Limbs which offer an outstanding speed while shooting.
- The overall Titan SS package includes three-pack Pro Elite carbon bolts from TenPoint with 100-grain practice points which maintain weight consistency.
- The 3X Pro-View 2 Scope included in this crossbow allows you to shoot with a greater accuracy.
- It is highly lightweight.
- You can easily cock the crossbow with ACUdraw.
- You can shoot the target with high accuracy with this crossbow.
- It offers an outstanding velocity of over 340 FPS.
- It is easy to assemble.
- This crossbow offers an exceptional level of safety while using.
- It is not so affordable.
- You have to pay extra fees for the ACUdraw model of this crossbow.
If you are looking for an extremely lightweight crossbow offering an exceptional shooting speed, the Titan SS from TenPoint would surely be one of the best options available for the money. It is a highly recommended crossbow for those who have advanced the basics of a crossbow and want to improve their crossbow skills.
Getting a crossbow from a premium brand like Excalibur could cost you a lot of money. However, if you are looking for a cheap alternative to other Excalibur crossbows, why not try Excalibur’s own Matrix SMF Grizzly Crossbow? The compact thumbhole stock enables it to be used in any locations for hunting.
- This crossbow includes Excalibur’s powerful SMF composite frame which can hold the crossbow effectively without losing any grip.
- It features a 200 pound CRT limbset that offers an outstanding level of speed for any crossbow sport.
- It also consists of Mossy Oak Break-up Country camouflage which helps the crossbow to blend in.
- This crossbow also consists of 4 Diablo arrows having field points of 150-grain weight.
- The 1″ rings and 4-Arrow Quiver included in the crossbow lets you know the position of your arrows.
- It is designed in a compact size with a thumbhole stock which helps you to use the crossbow at any location.
- It is a highly affordable crossbow.
- It is extremely lightweight.
- This crossbow offers an average level of speed which is good for learning purposes.
- You can use this crossbow in any hunting situations.
- Its frame can easily hold the crossbow without the loss of any grip.
- It is difficult to find compatible bolts for this crossbow.
- It doesn’t offer a better scope for targeting.
- The manufacturer hasn’t offered any frills.
If you are looking for an affordable crossbow that you can carry and use at any locations, the Excalibur Null Matrix SMF Grizzly Crossbow could be the best option for your money. This crossbow could also turn out to be highly reliable even though it doesn’t offer a faster speed.
Where Is Crossbow Used?
Crossbows can be used in several places. It can be used for hunting, learning, to pass leisure time as well as in battlefields. During the middle of the 20th century, the pioneers of modern archery were using their self-made bows and arrows, which initially led to the development of modern archery tools for hunting. When fiberglass, compound bow and other materials for the bow limbs were developed during the beginning of the third quarter of 20th century, different manufacturers started knowing about the potential of crossbows which eventually led to the development of modern crossbows. Some agencies also started testing crossbows to measure their impact on the environment which turned out to give positive results and hence attracted more people to start using crossbows.
Due to the creative design of crossbows as well as their ability to minimize noise while firing, the potential of crossbows has been felt by many people who have now started enjoying their time bow-hunting without any harmful effect to the environment. After providing proper instructions, many people can be able to start using crossbows effectively with the help of other tools like shooting stick.
Here are some of the major fields where crossbows can be used:
- People who are interested in modern archery, but aren’t able to use equipment like guns and rifles due to the lack of physical strength or the sensitivity to noise or other medical situations, can use crossbows effectively without harming themselves or the environment.
- Crossbows can be used by hunters in wildlife reserves to control the population of wildlife without any impact to the available resources.
- Elder people who lack physical strength due to their old age can use crossbows to lengthen their hunting career.
- Crossbows can be used in wars and battlefields.
- Crossbows can also be used as an effective tool to pass leisure time.
- You can also use crossbows for learning purposes. Many people also recruit hunters by testing their capability with the usage of crossbows.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Buy the Best Crossbow?
There are many different features and specialties that you need to look for while choosing the best crossbow that meets your need. Since crossbows are highly creative weapons which can be a good alternative to the traditional bow and arrows as well as the modern dangerous guns, there are a lot of different things you need to know about before purchasing one. It’s not that you really need to buy one from our list since there are many different varieties of crossbows that can meet your requirements. Here are some of the things you need to know before purchasing a crossbow.
Draw weight means the amount of pull you need to place the bow limbs in position for firing. You can find crossbows with different draw weights. However, if you are looking for the best one, we recommend you to look for a higher draw weight value. If the draw weight is higher, the velocity offered by the crossbow is also higher and vice-versa.
Noise is one of the major things you need to look for in a crossbow. If a crossbow offers too high velocity, the production of noise could be higher. This can lead the animal you are targeting to notice that you are around and it could run away as soon as you fire towards it. Recurve crossbow consisting of parallel limbs can be the best one if you are looking for a crossbow that produces less noise.
Getting a crossbow which offers higher velocity of bolts and arrows is what everyone prefers since it can get to the target in very less time and if it is an animal, the speed of above 340 FPS can easily produce accurate results. However, you also need to look for the noise produced by the crossbow as well as the strength of the bolts and arrows.
The weight of the crossbow is equally important as the other features. However, you can have two different benefits from both lightweight and heavy ones. The earlier ones can easily be carried to any locations, and the other ones can be more steady during the shooting period. We can’t recommend you either of them since both have their own pros and downsides interlinked with each other.
Arrow track refers to the structure of the crossbow that allows you to start the firing process. If the arrow track is more precise, the crossbow can produce more accurate results. Hence, you need to look for a crossbow with a precise arrow track.
Different Parts of the Crossbow
The equipment used in the manufacturing process of a crossbow is also a major factor that you need to look for while choosing the best crossbow. If you want to use your crossbow for many years to come, it is better to prefer a crossbow designed with metal parts. Crossbows designed with plastic materials are generally less durable.
Getting the best crossbow also depends upon the manufacturer. It might seem awkward here, but it’s true. Different manufacturers use different technologies to design the parts of the crossbow. Some manufacturers might be using low quality and less durable substances for the manufacturing of crossbows, whereas the others might be using high-quality materials for their crossbows. You can get high-quality crossbows from manufacturers like TenPoint, Barnett, Excalibur and CenterPoint. However, you can go to a crossbow dealer to try out the crossbows from different manufacturers to choose the best one.
These are all the major aspects you need to look to buy the best crossbow for the money. However, some crossbows might have additional qualities in them such as different cocking mechanism which helps in cocking the bow efficiently, powerful scopes which ensure highly accurate results, as well as noise suppression systems which help in preventing the production of large sound while shooting.
With the completion of our review of the best crossbows for the money, we highly recommend you to go through our crossbow buyer’s guide mentioned above. You need to know about different aspects of a crossbow before purchasing the best one. It’s all upon you on which crossbow you need to purchase. However, if you have any problems regarding the different aspects of a crossbow or if you need the best crossbow for the money according to your requirements, you can write down about your issue with detailed information in the comments. We will try to get back to your comments right away.
- 370-Feet per second firing Velocity, 185-pound draw weight
- Fully Adjustable, tactical stock and forearm
- Lightweight & durable CNC Machined aluminum rail with shoot through riser
- Integrated String suppressors for a quiet, vibration-free shot
- Quad limbs with precision CNC Machined Cam System
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are the answers to some of the major questions that many crossbow buyers usually ask before and after purchasing. You might want to go through all the questions and their answers below to find out the answers of general questions related to crossbows.
Q. The limbs on my recurve crossbow has broken. Can I cock it with my hand?
Answer: No. It is not recommended to try cocking a crossbow having broken limbs. Doing this might result in different injuries. It is better to consult with the customer support of the manufacturer regarding this issue.
Q. My bow always shoots high or low. Why is it happening?
Answer: You would be to resolve the issue if you try adjusting sights as long as you are using field points. You also need to make sure that your arrows are of same length and shaft size.
However, if you use broadheads, you can only fix this problem by using another type of broadhead. This is happening because the blades are catching air immediately after getting fired.
Q. Why are some crossbows having less draw weight faster?
Answer: The velocity offered by the crossbow isn’t just dependent on draw weight, but also on the power stroke. If the power stroke is longer, the bolts will travel with high velocity.
Q. I found two types of crossbows; compound and recurve. What are the differences between these crossbows?
Answer: Compound bows usually consist of different cams or wheels connected with the limb assembly, whereas the recurve ones have their strings directly attached with the limbs.
Many people prefer buying recurve crossbows since these crossbows offer longer power stroke than the compound ones. Replacing the string is also easier in case of recurve crossbow while comparing with the compound crossbow.
Q. How can I replace the string contained in a compound crossbow?
Answer: You need a bow press to replace the string on a compound crossbow.
Q. Is it legal to use a crossbow?
Answer: According to the United States Regulations, usage of crossbows are considered illegal in bow-only locations. You can use a crossbow at any place where both bows and guns are considered legal.
Q. Is crossbow a firearm?
Answer: A firearm is something which uses expanding gases for firing. But, a crossbow doesn’t use any gases. A crossbow just uses an arrow or a bolt for firing and doesn’t result in any sort of burning. This is why a crossbow can’t be considered as a firearm.
Q. I need a crossbow which offers maximum FPS. Which one would be the best?
Answer: If you are looking for the fastest crossbow, there’s no better option than the Barnett Ghost 410 CRT crossbow which we have listed on our review. It offers an extremely high FPS of 410 with the draw weight of 185 pounds and over 150 ft-lbs of kinetic energy. You can check its latest price here.
Last update on 2019-08-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API