You just cannot keep your rifle without a case. A rifle is a really dangerous weapon and they are expensive too. Proper storage is a must and there are plenty of storage options. Among them, a rifle case is the most popular. You can use a rifle case for any type of rifle and keep it safe from theft and being damaged. Rifle case has designs that let you carry and travel with your rifle, shotgun, and scopes. There are many factors that come into play for you to select the appropriate case. A carrying case is different from a traveling case and a hard safe is different from a soft safe. In this article, we’re going to cover most of the important aspect of a rifle case and provide you with some of the best rifle cases that we’ve encountered.
Different Types of Rifle Cases
There are mainly two kinds of rifle cases Soft Shell Cases and Hard Shell Cases. These are explained below:
Soft Shell Cases weigh less and they are meant for carrying your rifles. Basic Transport is supported by them. For a new or an average hunter, a soft shell case is perfect. They’re also more flexible so they can be fit in tight spaces. They’re great for portability. Soft Shell cases also have the support for both tactical and hunting rifles.
As far as the price is concerned, they also cost significantly less than the hard shell cases but the price may depend on the manufacturer. These cases also provide more space for extra items such as ammunition and magazines.
Going on distant travel requires a case that can take bumps and impacts. In such cases, a hard shell case will be your best friend. Soft Shell cases can also scratch your rifle and trust us, you don’t want that. Hard Shell cases aren’t meant for local hunting but they are meant for frequent travelers.
In addition, a hard shell case can also support military grade firearms. The downside, however, is the price. It can get a little expensive.
Best Rifle Cases
As we have mentioned earlier that rifle cases usually come in two variants and they are soft shell & hard shell. To make your life easier, we have gone through a good number of products and come up with a separate list best rifle cases which include six best soft rifle cases and six best hard rifle cases. Each product has been selected through a rigorous screening process and they have been reviewed based on the set of features they are offering.
Best Soft Rifle Cases
The Savior Equipment rifle case has a durable construction coupled with spacious inner compartments. There are lockable zipper sliders on the included two compartments. The rifle case also comes with backpack straps and D-Ring.
- Durable construction with PVC Nylon material
- The case can hold 2 rifles and 2 pistols and also comes with additional pockets
- Lockable zipper sliders are present
- D-Rignn, Paracord Zipper, Molle Grid, and Backpack Straps are also included
- This case comes with a lifetime warranty
- Excellent design & material
- This case features a great storage space
- Zipper Slider Locks aren’t much secured
The lack of a good locking mechanism is what really hinders the otherwise impressive performance of the Savior Equipment rifle case. The advantages are plenty though, not only does it have a lifetime warranty, it also comes with a sleek design and sturdy build. The price is also not too expensive so the case can serve you in a good way.
The VISM case by NcStar has a decent build but not that impressive. It can hold up to 2 carbine sized rifles. The compartments are properly separated and security is imposed by the zippers. A secondary compartment stores magazines and ammo in an organized way.
- 3 external pockets for extra items like ammo
- Comes with extra PALS looping on each end
- There are two adjustable shoulder straps with an adjustable sternum strap
- Heavy Duty zippers with pull cords for fast and easy access
- Comes with wrap around grip straps and top and bottom compression straps
- This case features a great storage space
- Build quality is a bit on the downside
The build material isn’t much to talk about. Aside from that, the case is pretty okay. The security is imposed by heavy duty sliders that can be padlocked so, no issue there. The case is also pretty comfortable to carry all things considered.
The YONGCUN S08 is another great soft rifle case that is easy to carry and comfortable to use. The rifle case
- Has the support for 42 inches rifle
- Comes in a Dark Black colour design with visible dimension of 44.4″ x 16.0″ x 6.1″ and the internal dimension of 41.8″ x 13.5″ x 5.2″
- The wheels consist of strong polyurethane material with stainless steel bearings
- The company claims the case to be watertight, crushproof, and dust-proof
- Solid Wall design and a decent zipper slider with padlock protectors.
- Excellent material & build
- Great resistance against water, crush & dust
- Lock System is not good enough
The zippers won’t last you that long and even the padlock system cannot prevent that from happening. A heavy duty zipper slider could’ve saved this issue. On the other hand, it is water and dust proof in addition to being impact proof. The build is pretty sturdy as well. Since the price isn’t that demanding, it’s safe to buy this case all things considered.
Just like the American line up, Savior Equipment’s Urban case has the PVC nylon build and all the features which are similar. The prime difference being the color palette, the new grey-white design is quite an eyecatcher here. The warranty also returns.
- The case is constructed With Heavy Duty Industrial 600D PVC Nylon
- Space for 2 Rifles and 2 Pistols is provided
- Additional Pocket Compartments for magazines and ammo
- Lockable Zipper Slider
- The case also has paracord zipper, D-Ring and molle grid
- There are several backpack straps
- Excellent design & build
- This case features several storage compartments
- The design is not lucrative enough
The drawback here might be a bit debated. The design of this case can seem really distracting for some, the whitish tint also means that the case will get dirty pretty soon. Aside from this minor design issue, the case hits every ball out for a home run. Even the zipper slider is improved from the American one. A great job by Savior Equipment.
Other Top Soft Rifle Cases
The Softrock Gear ST is a soft shell case that has a plain black color which is pretty classic. The case can support a 36-inch rifle and it is made up of Polyester material. In addition, a backpack strap is also included and it is water resistant.
- Double Wall Construction, Rugged 600D Denier Polyester for EXTREME conditions and against tears, rips or fraying
- Large zippered front compartment.
- The exterior houses 3 pockets for ammo
- Top Craftsmanship, Durable Back Strap
- Excellent resistance against water
- This case comes with a lifetime warranty
- No Heavy Duty Zippers
You have to get zippers that last. In addition, the zippers don’t support padlocks which is a huge downside. Aside from that, however, the case is impressive. The Warranty and the water resistance are two huge features of this case. You can definitely buy it.
The NcStar CVG2907 has a complicated design much like its name. This design, however, accounts for its many external pockets that might be a deal maker for some people. The construction is sturdy enough and it has inner padding to protect your rifle. The best thing though is the heavy duty double zippers. This just elevates the case to an entirely new level.
- The case is made up of sturdy PVC Material
- Consist of a High-Density Foam Inner Padding for Superior Protection
- Available in multiple size options to support most rifles and shotguns
- Almost any Rifle or Shotgun
- Multiple External Pockets
- This case features a set of heavy duty double zippers
- Inner Padding keeps your precious rifle safe
- Design of this case is on the downside
This might be the ugliest looking case in this list. The manufacturers have not even tried to make this appealing. But as far as the work of the case goes, it can pretty much stack up to any case out there. You’re getting inner padding coupled with heavy duty zippers at this price range. Talk about value for money.
The ARMYCAMOUSA Tactical Rifle Case has the best build quality in this list. Nylon Fabric with double switching. A sweet deal indeed. The inner flaps are there to save the zipper from the weight of the rifle and a wraparound carry handle is present that is decent enough.
- 1000D Nylon Fabric build which is double stitched
- Full-Length zippers for locking
- Protective flaps save the zipper
- Has a wraparound web carry handles
- Comes in two size options: 38 inches and 42 inches
- Excellent build quality
- There are several size options to choose from
- Zippers aren’t that good
- No Warranty!
A great build might not need a warranty but the zippers can be damaged easily and there is no warranty to cover that. A bit problematic to be honest. On the contrary, the build quality is impressive, to say the least, and there are two size option to choose from.
The MidWay USA’s tactical rifle case is engineered to give your rifles very good protection. Rifles of all shapes and sizes are supported. The case has an advanced dual density padding system to provide protection against impact. Other features include a resistant 400D nylon ballistic construction and self-repairing coil zippers.
- The case comes with a 6 Pocket Design
- it has a Dual Density Bonded Padding System
- A Shoulder Strap is included
- The Reinforced Stitching mechanism makes up for a solid construction
- This case features a great storage space
- Self Repairing coiled zippers
- Construction of this bag is questionable for this bag
The material is stitched nicely but the material itself isn’t solid. Although the company claims it to be durable, it is still doubtful. In contrast, the case itself is spacious enough with 6 pockets. The included shoulder strap is also comfortable and the best thing is the coiled zippers. This adds an extra layer of protection to the case. The price is also affordable. If you’re looking for a budget case that can do the same job as some other high priced cases then, MidwayUSA’s tactical case is the way to go.
Best Hard Rifle Cases
Case Club’s AR15 is a hard case rifle case which is specifically designed for your AR-15 rifles. The case is, of course, waterproof and it comes with a precut foam as well. The case can hold extra items too. It is airline approved so, the case can be used to travel via air. It also has dust resistance. The internal can be cleaned here.
- A Waterproof and Dustproof rifle case that comes with pre-cut foam to hold AR-15 Rifle
- Can hold extra items such as magazines, a pistol, optics, rifle attachments, & various accessories
- The internal won’t get humid because of the moisture removing silica gel canister
- An accessory box plus a knife is included as extras
- The foam insert is polyethylene build and can be wiped clean
- Airline approved case, pad lockable
- Extra items are included
- Waterproof and Dustproof
- Solid build and Spacious
- The price tag is a bit on the upper side
- Exclusive to one Rifle Type
If you’re charging a considerable amount of money for a product then it ought to have some form of warranty. This is the main problem with the Case Club AR-15. The next huge issue is that the case is only exclusive to AR-15 type rifles so, clearly, it is not for everyone. Having said that, it does come with a solid build, a lot of extra items and sleek design that kind of justifies the price but still, it is one hell of an expensive rifle case for only one type of rifle support.
The Pelican 1750 is an American Product that is resistant to dust, water, and crash (impact). It has easily accessible compartments with strong polyurethane wheels. It also comes with an automatic pressure equalization valve which releases the built-up pressure to keep any water out of the case.
- Has an easy open Double Throw latches
- The Bottom depth is 3.50 inch
- Consist of Strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings
- Interior dimension is of 50.50″ x 13.50″ x 5.25″
- Watertight via a tongue and groove fit and a polymer o-ring.
- Stainless steel reinforced padlock protectors
- Water, Dust and Impact proof
- Good Protection
- The design is a bit of bulky
- The design is also a compact one
Well, the device’s protection aspect is on a different level altogether. Probably the best protection out of every case in this list. The downside here lies in its internals. There is not much compartment. In addition, the design is just downright ugly. All you can store is a single rifle and not even it’s ammo. You can just store a rifle and that’s just insane. This is only for the people who have a vintage, expensive rifle and want to save it from every possible damage.
This is actually better than the Pelican 1750. Main reason? You can at least store the ammo of a rifle. Other specifications are almost similar. The main difference is the design. A much better design.
- The case is kept watertight with tongue and groove fit and a polymer o-ring
- Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve is present
- 3-Piece Foam Set
- As far as dimension goes, Depth: 1.75 inch (4.4 cm) Bottom depth: 3.50 inch (8.9 cm) and Total depth: 5.25 inch (13.3 cm)
- Padlock protectors with stainless steel reinforcement
- Open Cell Core With Solid Wall Design
- Water, Impact and Dust Resistant
- Excellent build with great materials
- Not Spacious enough
Much like the Pelican 1750, the pelican 1700 lacks in the space department. In addition, it’s very expensive for a single rifle case. The design of the case is bold though. The black finish complements the bulky aesthetics and the protection features are top notch here. You can store up to 2 magazines along with the rifle.
Case Club is a major player in the gun case department. The competition case comes with a pre-cut foam that can hold an AR-15 or an AR-10 rifle, a shotgun, and pistol. The case comes with all the compartments to store your accessories and is approved by most of the airlines out there. In addition, the case is dustproof and as the name suggests, waterproof.
- Compartments to hold extra items like magazines, optics, gun attachments, and various accessories. The case, however, does not accommodate side attachments.
- There are 2 moisture removing silica gel canisters & waterproof accessory box & knife are included
- The foam insert is made up of a high-grade polyethylene which can be wiped clean
- The case is Airline Approved for checked luggage
- It is pad-lockable and dustproof as well
- Very Affordable
- Extra Compartments
- Silicon gel prevents rust
- 3 rifles can be kept
- The build isn’t that great
- Security Option is limited
The Case Club Competition Case is an affordable case with placement for 3 rifles. There are extra compartments to store all your accessories and a silicon canister is provided as well. Furthermore, the rifle case is both dust and waterproof. The downside is the build which we’re not particularly fond of. Also, security options here are limited.
Other Top Hard Rifle Cases
A precision rifle case will probably need more compartments and this case provides it. If you own a rifle with impressive scope and want full protection then, we recommend you to get this case without any hesitation.
- A waterproof case for your precision rifles
- Space for extra magazines, optics, gun attachments, and other items
- Contains 2 silica gel canisters along with an accessory box which is waterproof, a knife is included as a bonus
- The high-grade polyethylene foam insert is present which can be wiped clean
- Airline approved case
- Waterproof build
- Airline (TSA) approved which makes it portable while traveling
- A lot of extras included
- Limited security options
The Case Club Precision rifle case is a waterproof case that is airline approved. The case supports any precision rifle and has a lot of extra compartments. It provides a knife as a bonus. The only flaw that this rifle case has is it’s limited security options. Yes, it can be padlocked but it isn’t sturdy enough. The build isn’t also something to talk about but it is nonetheless decent hence, it gets a pass.
The Plano Mil-Spec case has a solid construction that comes with a dimension to support long guns. The internal foam of the case is pretty good and it has the durability that far exceeded our expectations. There is also a heavy duty gasket present.
- The case is made of the highest quality material
- The rifle case is meant for some long guns
- It has a cut to fit foam
- The latches provided are extra wide
- It has premium quality and good durability
- Heavy duty gaskets are present
- Affordable from the price point of view
- Excellent build quality
- Not many compartments in terms of storage capacity
The Plano Mil-Spec case is a cutthroat long gun case that just doesn’t provide you more than you need. It is a solid case for you long gun but all you can store here is a long gun. If you’re someone who uses both a pistol and a rifle then, it’s not for you. But for people owning a single gun, this case serves as a perfect it.
If you want to travel places then you might encounter conditions that are different. The weather isn’t the same everywhere and buying all weather case will be a must. The Plano PLA11852 all weather case is your one-stop solution for all your weather problems. The protection of this case is world renowned and it also doesn’t cost a fortune. The case features a pluck foam to create a fit that is secure for your rifle. It can also hold some accessories and the security of the case is also decent.
- Consists of a customizable pluck-to-fit foam
- Has an easy glide enclosed wheels
- The pressure release valve is present
- A really rugged construction
- Internal Fit provides all-weather protection
- Great build
- The design is a bit of on the downside
Technically, the case has no problems. Security? Check. Build? Check. Support for Accessories? Check. The problem lies in the visual but it’s rather personal. There are some people who are going to prefer this design while some may argue that it is just ugly. Draw your own conclusions about the design and hey, if you happen to like it, then buy this case with your eyes closed.
As far as hunting goes, this rifle case is the best one of this list. No doubt about it. Case Club’s line up of specific rifle cases is really impressive and the hunting line up is no exception. The case features waterproof construction and has the support for any kind of hunting rifles. In addition, it can also hold many extra items.
- A Waterproof wheeled case that comes with pre-cut foam to hold any hunting rifle
- Extra compartments to hold pistols, magazines, silica gel canister, waterproof box, and other items
- The moisture removing silica gel canister along with the waterproof accessory box is also included
- Military grade polyethylene foam insert can be wiped clean
- Airline approved case which is pad-lockable
- Support for almost any hunting rifle
- Airline Approved for portability
- Waterproof design
- Military Grade foam inserted
- A bit expensive from the price tag point of view
- Not a great padlock system
As with most case club rifle cases, the locking system lets you down, again. It is about time Case Club fixes this easily fixable issue. On the other hand, there is a quite a bit of advantage here that makes this rifle case a sweet deal, especially for hunters. It supports a huge number of hunting rifles and it is waterproof as well as airline approved. The one downside is that it’s a bit expensive.
Features of a Good Rifle Case
A good rifle case needs to have a certain set of features that separate it from an average rifle case. These features are explained below;
A good rifle case must be built to last. It should have a solid construction coupled with a material that is durable. The case should also feature a decent design. No one wants to carry an ugly looking case.
A rifle case needs to minimize weight but it shouldn’t compromise on the build. Traditionally, soft shell cases weigh less than hard cases but the gap is being closed these days. The balance of weight is crucial.
The handles of a case should be sturdy. Most people complain about faulty handles when they complain about a rifle case. This shouldn’t be the downside of the case you’re buying. Get a handle that won’t break. Comfort is also necessary, leather or a nylon padded handle is generally easier to carry.
More the resistance, more the durability of your rifle. Weather can change every second, it rains there are sandstorms happening so, water and dust can be your prime enemy. Having a case that resists all these things can be a sweet deal. Normally, one of the two is present. Some really good but a bit expensive rifle cases even come with fire resistance. Can’t get better than that!
The build isn’t everything. What would a good build do if anyone can access your case? Therefore, another huge feature is how the case locks. Combination locks are more secure than padded locks. On the other hand, digital biometrics lock can be even more secure but a bit difficult to set up, especially for the older generation. These are high-end locks available for expensive cases. Inexpensive cases have simple padded locks and zippers.
These are the features that are not 100% required but they can serve as a deal maker or a deal breaker for people. These underrated features include extra compartments, a strap that can be used a backpack, a warranty/guarantee option, and accessories.
Soft Rifle Case vs Hard Rifle Case
There are certain situations where a soft rifle case is better than a hard rifle case and vice versa. While choosing a rifle case, you need to consider this factor. Let us now see the advantages and drawbacks of each hard and soft rifle cases
Hard Rifle Case
The main advantage of a hard rifle case is that it provides better protection than soft cases as the metal build is more sturdy than a polymer fiber. In addition, hard exteriors can also protect your rifles from things such as water and dust. The interior keeps humidity outside and doesn’t rust your rifle case. Some cases even come with an included foam to provide the perfect fit. The hard cases are also approved by authorities so they’re used when you want to travel via air.
The first disadvantage is that a hard rifle case is very expensive, it’s generally 2 times and in some cases 3 to 4 times more expensive than a soft rifle case. In addition, a hard rifle case is bulky as hell. Transporting the case can be quite a hassle. They’re also heavier as compared to a soft rifle case.
Soft Rifle Case
One of the main advantages of a soft rifle case is its weight. These type of cases are very lightweight and they’re easy to carry on a short trip like for instance, hunting. You wouldn’t want to take a bulky and heavy case when you’re going out to hunt. These cases can also work as cushions when you’re not keeping your rifles inside.
Security is a prime problem in a soft case, it’s not as secure as a hard case. Locking systems are limited to sliders and sometimes the available sliders work perfectly while other times, they can be stubborn. You also don’t get a foam inside it so that’s another area where a hard case is handy.
So, which case is for you? Well, if you want to travel internationally then, get a hard rifle case and if you want to go to a local hunting site, use a soft rifle case.
Tips On Choosing Best Rifle Cases
Getting a rifle case can be a really troublesome task if you have no idea what you should be looking for. There are quite a lot of factors that can potentially determine your
The features that you’d want to get when you buy a rifle case are briefly explained below:
For a soft gun safe, get a safe that has good zippers. Moving on to the hard gun case, get a gun case that has a good locking system like padded locks, preferably certified by the TSA or the Airline.
As we mentioned earlier, short trips equal soft cases and air trips equal hard cases.
It is crucial that your hard gun case is resistant to impact, dust, and water. If you can find a fire resistant case, even better. On the soft case side, You need to find a case that is resistant to wear and tear i.e, the gun case must have good stitching and should hold up for quite some time.
Extra space for trivial things like ammo and accessories are crucial. In addition, it’s even better if your soft case has a space to store water bottles and if your hard case has space for a handgun. These little things can make a ton of difference.
If you have multiple guns, get a case that supports multiple guns. Most of them don’t so, you don’t want to be dumbfounded later. Also, in the case of rifles, there are rifle cases that support a specific brand or a specific type of gun.
To conclude, rifle cases are an important part of the hunting gear for any hunter. A good rifle case shows that you care for your firearms. For anyone who owns a rifle, it can save you from considerable money in rifle repairment. We believe from this comprehensive write up about the best rifle cases will definitely help you to choose either the best soft rifle cases or the best hard rifle cases.
Frequently Asked Questions!
Q. Can a soft case be used to store heavy duty rifles?
Ans. Yes, despite being made up of fabric, a soft case can definitely store some heavy duty rifles. Some even support multiple rifles.
Q. Why do most hard cases support only one rifle?
Ans. It’s because of the fact that hard cases have the design that trades in space for protection.
Q. Do I need an expensive rifle case?
Ans. Certainly not. There are of course certain expensive rifle cases that have a lot of features but it doesn’t mean that inexpensive cases are all useless.
Last update on 2019-09-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API